Spring weather can be unpredictable in Kansas. Reduce injury risk and plan ahead
Often by the time we are aware of an approaching storm, we have little if any time to prepare for it.
Spring is the time of year when many things change—including the weather. Temperatures can swing back and forth between balmy and frigid. Sunny days may be followed by a week of stormy weather. Sometimes extreme weather changes can occur even within the same day. Mark Twain once said, "In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours."
Thunderstorms cause most of the severe spring weather. They can bring lightning, tornadoes, and flooding. Whenever warm, moist air collides with cool, dry air, thunderstorms can occur. For much of the world, this happens in spring and summer.
Because spring weather is so unpredictable, you may be unprepared when severe weather hits—particularly if you live in a region that does not often experience thunderstorms, tornadoes, or flooding. And when severe weather hits unexpectedly, the risk of injury and death increases. So planning ahead makes sense; prepare for storms, floods, and tornadoes as if you know in advance they are coming, because in the spring, they very likely will.
Advance planning for thunderstorms, lightning, tornadoes, and floods requires specific safety precautions. You can follow many of the same steps that you would for all extreme weather events. Keep an emergency kit on hand. Some items to include are:
- A battery-operated flashlight, a battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio, and extra batteries for both
- An emergency evacuation or shelter plan, including a map of your home and, for every type of severe weather emergency, routes to safety from each room
- A list of important personal information, including:
- telephone numbers of neighbors, family, and friends
- insurance and property information
- telephone numbers of utility companies
- medical information
- According to the American Red Cross a first aid kit may include:
- non-latex gloves
- assortment of adhesive bandages
- antibiotic ointment
- sterile gauze pads in assorted sizes
- absorbent compress dressings
- adhesive cloth tape
- aspirin packets (81 mg each)
- first aid instruction booklet
(NOTE: Customize your first aid kit to meet your individual and family needs.)
- A 3–5 day supply of bottled water and nonperishable food
- Personal hygiene items
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- An emergency kit in your car
Prepare your family members for the possibility of severe weather. Tell them where to seek appropriate shelter as soon as they are aware of an approaching storm. Practice your emergency plan for every type of severe weather. Show family members where the emergency supplies are stored, and make sure they know how to turn off the water, gas, and electricity in your home.
Often by the time we are aware of an approaching storm, we have little if any time to prepare for it. But we do know that when spring arrives, thunderstorms, tornadoes, and floods are real possibilities. So why not take the surprise factor out of severe weather and prepare yourself, your family, and your home? If thunderstorms, tornadoes, and floods do occur, you'll be ready for them.
After the storms if you find you have damage to your home, don't forget SERVPRO is always here to help. 24/7 we are ready for whatever the weather leaves behind.
Call us today 913-772-1818
Don't Get Swept Away In This Kansas Weather
We all know how crazy the weather in Kansas can be in the spring time. There is never a better time to be prepared than before the storm hits! Be sure you know the difference between a watch and a warning.
Make sure your prepared with these tips from ready.gov
Flood Watch = “Be Aware.” Conditions are right for flooding to occur in your area.
Steps to Take
- Turn on your TV/radio. You will receive the latest weather updates and emergency instructions.
- Know where to go. You may need to reach higher ground quickly and on foot.
- Build or restock your emergency preparedness kit. Include a flashlight, batteries, cash, and first aid supplies.
Prepare Your Home
- Bring in outdoor furniture and move important indoor items to the highest possible floor. This will help protect them from flood damage.
- Disconnect electrical appliances and do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water. You could be electrocuted.
- If instructed, turn off your gas and electricity at the main switch or valve. This helps prevent fires and explosions.
Flood Warning = "Take Action!" Flooding is either happening or will happen shortly.
Steps to Take
- Move immediately to higher ground or stay on high ground.
- Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Turn Around, Don’t Drown! Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away.
After the water recedes and your home has sustained damage don’t forget SERVPRO of Leavenworth is always here to help!
Call us at 913-772-1818
About SERVPRO of Leavenworth & NW Wyandotte Co.
SERVPRO of Leavenworth & NW Wyandotte Co. specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Does Your Leavenworth Home Have A Mold Problem?
In Leavenworth, mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 913-772-1818
Restoring Your Leavenworth Commercial Property after a Water Damage Event
Flooding and water damage events at Leavenworth commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Leavenworth & NW Wyandotte Co.
SERVPRO of Leavenworth & NW Wyandotte Co. specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Call us 24/7 for all your commercial property needs! 913-772-1818
Leavenworth Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Fire Damage caused from an unattended stove
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Leavenworth will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – 913-772-1818
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialists can restore your Leavenworth Home
SERVPRO of Leavenworth is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) create the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Leavenworth
SERVPRO of Leavenworth specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Call Us Today for All Your Restoration Needs!
SERVPRO of Leavenworth 913-772-1818
Faster to your Leavenworth Water Damage Event
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Leavenworth provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Leavenworth arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 913-772-1818
About SERVPRO of Leavenworth
SERVPRO of Leavenworth specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Don't let winter weather wreak havoc on your home
Winter weather can cause unforeseen damage to your Leavenworth property. Snow, Ice and other issues can be a huge problem this time of year. Here are a few tips to avoid property damage this winter.
Protect your Pipes
Frozen pipes can cause major issues. When water freezes it expands. When frozen in a pipe it can cause the pipe to burst, water escapes and serious property damage can be had.
Make sure all pipes that are outside your home, near exterior walls or in unheated spaces are insulated.
Be sure to keep the heat on so pipes in other areas of your home don’t freeze. In extreme conditions open cabinet doors to let warm air under the kitchen or bathroom sinks.
Keep Gutters Clean
Make sure there is no debris in your gutters and they are attached securely to your home. Snow and Ice can build up in your gutter making them heavy and if not properly attached can cause damage by the weight pulling them down.
Ventilate your Attic
Making sure your attic is properly ventilated can prevent ice dams in the winter. An unvented attic can generate an excessive amount of heat. When the snow and ice melts it can refreeze along the edge of your roof causing ice dams to form. It can also lead to structural damage to exterior walls by getting into cracks and holes. When vented properly your roof can remain cooler through the winter and thereby avoiding potential ice dams from forming.
Cutting back dead tree limbs before winter weather is best. The weight of snow and ice can cause them to break easily and can cause damage to your roof, windows, vehicles and even people below.
Happy Veteran's Day
Having our SERVPRO franchise located in Leavenworth, Kansas and Fort Leavenworth right down the street means that we get a more exciting Veteran's Day than most offices. Today we are honoring those who served by providing coffee and candy during the impressive parade as it makes it way down our street. This year our Leavenworth Marketing Representative Paul Goode had an additional and personal contribution to the day as well. A banner made to honor a member of his own family in service hangs alongside many others lining a street in downtown Leavenworth. These banners and this parade help bring this community together in celebration and SERVPRO Leavenworth is excited and grateful to be able to be a part of it. If you happen to be in town we still have goodies left at our pop up. Feel free to drop by and warm up with us!
SERVPRO of Leavenworth & NW Wyandotte Co is Hiring
Would you like to join our team?
SERVPRO® Business Development Representative
Do you love working with people and educating them?
Then, don't miss your chance to join our nationally recognized company, as a new SERVPRO® Marketing Representative. In this position, you will be making a difference each and every day. We have a sincere drive towards the goal of helping make fire and water damage "Like it never even happened"!
We're seeking someone who is comfortable meeting new people, with excellent communication skills, and who is a serious multi-tasker. If you are self-motivated and have superb interpersonal skills, then you'll thrive in this work environment. Our idea of the ultimate candidate is one who is proactive, experienced, truly enjoys providing superior service, and loves taking ownership. Are you highly dependable and super excited about routinely exceeding expectations? Then YOU may be our perfect HERO!
As a valued SERVPRO® employee, you'll be part of a stable, growing company offering state-of-the-art customer service and products throughout the United States. You will receive a competitive pay rate, with lots of opportunity to learn and become more.
Read over the responsibilities, minimum requirements, and check out the company website. Then, apply today! We are looking forward to supporting you in your heroic journey with us!
· 40 hours/week, flexible to work overtime when required
· Vary between 7 am – 7 pm
Some of the Responsibilities:
· Provide excellent customer service
· Conduct Objective-to-Objective Marketing contacts
· Compile and maintain “Center of Influence” information
· Participate in professional Associations to build networks
· Provide “Lunch and Learns” and promote Continuing Education (CE) courses
· Understand production and estimating processes
· Complete documentation, as appropriate
· Assist other departments as needed
· Plus more…
· 1 + year(s) of Sales, Marketing or Customer Service Rep experience
· Experience with Professional Sales or Marketing Associations a plus
· Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including proper pronunciation, grammar and a consistently courteous and professional tone of voice at all times
· Possess polite, confident and excellent customer service skills, including listening and questioning skills
· Ability to meet people in new or difficult situations and build rapport
· Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
· Very self-motivated and goal-oriented
· Ability to multi-task
· Capability to work in a fast paced, team oriented office environment
· Proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e.: Outlook, Word, Excel)
Base plus activity based commission and increases based on merit.
Check out our website at: http://www.SERVPROleavenworthnwwyandottecounty.com for more information.
TO APPLY: Email your résumé, along with salary history to: SERVPRO10026@gmail.com
SERVPRO® specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke, or water damage situation. So, when disaster strikes, homeowners, businesses and insurance providers will rely on us to respond with unparalleled service excellence. As a nation's leading fire and water cleanup and restoration company with more than 1,600 franchises nationwide, we are growing rapidly creating exciting opportunities for "A Level" talent.